Friday, April 08, 2005

Purpose-driven claptrap. I'll admit that I've thumbed through some of the book, The Purpose Driven Life. It is pretty bizarre. The whole thrust seems to be that I'M SPECIAL.

Dig this:

"You were planned for God's pleasure.
The moment you were born into the world, God was there as an unseen witness, smiling at your birth. He wanted you alive, and your arrival gave him great pleasure. God did not need to create you, but he chose to create you for his own enjoyment. You exist for his benefit, his glory, his purpose, and his delight." p.63.

In Buddhism, the goal is ego-reduction, the realization that I am not really separate or distinct or in any way special at all. We are tied up in the wheel of Samsara until we have worked our way through to enlightenment and cessation. I realize that the great majority of serious Christians are moral and kindly people but taking this sort of book seriously could be a very dangerous thing. If I am really God's special project, then I'm pretty damn important!

5 Comments:

Blogger They call him James Ure said...

Not to mention people that are born mentally or physically retarded. Are they for God's pleasure too?? Surely, "God" has more deeper pleasures then constantly creating babies. I don't know, maybe it's just me but wouldn't you (as a God) get a little bored of the umpteenth billion baby born?? Hehe. I like your blog.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I've sent some notes I gathered from your blog including this post for research on What is important which I'm helping with, with so thanks a lot Tobe. Anny.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Tobe I'm working with the writer of this course for What is important to me and this post has helped so thanks. Anny

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all!. Use these helpful search engines BD search & movie pages and try to find all you need in your area!
for fun

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter