Thursday, September 23, 2004

It is interesting how you can find such a wide variety of practice passing under the name of "buddhism." From the intellectual approach of some, to the brand that seems to be little more than ancestor worhip and superstition. I always thought that one of the strenghts of buddhist teaching was the availability of different teachings for different audiences. After all, the struggling peasant in the field living on the edge of survival seems an unlikely candidate for the practice of sustained meditation necesssary to reach enlightenment. He or she needs comforting thoughts, not advanced lectures.

And so, the reality that some teachings will be only for a more elect few. Not that I read Nietzsche often, but an interesting line of his:

"Our highest insights must--and should--sound like stupidities and sometimes like crimes when they are heard without permission by those who are not predisposed and predestined for them...."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tobe, I just dropped in on my way back to my Full Moon site. I liked what I
found and thought that I would leave you a note for your efforts in creating this post.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tobe, I was just passing by on my search for things about Jewish on
the Net, and dropped in on your blog. I was looking for stuff for my Jewish site. Not
sure that your blog was exactly what I needed, but I enjoyed my visit all the same.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tobe, I was just passing by on my search for things about Buddhist on
the Net, and dropped in on your blog. I was looking for stuff for my Buddhist site. Not
sure that your blog was exactly what I needed, but I enjoyed my visit all the same.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter